The Golden Retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds according to the American Kennel Association. In fact they rank 3rd just behind Labrador Retrievers and German Shepherds. But how much do you really know about this happy go lucky breed?
With their silky golden coat and pleasing nature, they are a favorite in commercials and movies. Who doesn’t love the Subaru commercial with a family of Goldens driving down the road? Or the children’s hit “Air Bud” when a young boy discovers a stray dog’s amazing talent for basketball?
While we know they are super sweet and can melt your heart in a minute with those big brown eyes, there are quite a few facts you may not know about one of America’s much loved dog breeds.
Here are 5 little known facts about the Golden Retriever.
1. They are considered to be the 4th smartest dog breed (in line behind Border Collies, Poodles, and German Shepherds).
2. They have water-repellent double coats that shed seasonally. (Brush your Golden once a week to minimize the shedding!)
3. Presidents Ford and Reagan both had Golden Retrievers as pets while in office.
4. Golden Retrievers are known to become sad and even depressed when left alone for long periods of time. Experts say they shouldn’t be left alone for more than seven hours.
5. They are known to take care of other animals, even cats.
For even more photos and 10 more facts, visit the original post on Country Living.com. And be sure to share with all your Golden Retriever fans out there!